Friday, September 17, 2004

new layout. again.

Sometimes I really wonder why the hell I got into my line of work. I enjoy designing more than what I actually do. So, in the midst of "supposedly busy trying to finish my assignments", I ended up redesigning the blog layout. Indirectly, this may help a bit in the page designing for my adv. Java project, but not by much. The best thing now is that I can simply drag my layout objects around to suit any backgrounds that I change into.
-----
RESOLUTIONS:
1. Finish SQL assignment by Monday.
2. Start pol paper on Monday, and hopefully finish within the week.
3. Slave my ass off for Java.
-----
I wanna bitch about my manager.
First off, she should've retired ages ago. Better yet, she shouldn't have been hired at all. I mean, why would you hire someone from a company that you just bought over because of financial problems, especially when the same someone is more or less responsible for said problems, being the person in charge of all expenses and budgets?
Since July last year, we've been moving whole labs around. "Around" means to another block of building about 50 meters away, and back. "Labs" mean 40+ full sets of PCs, complete with chairs and huge ass ancient crumbling computer tables. So, to and fro, there's been around 4 trips each way. Now she's bugging us to move them back again. Well, not me actually, cos I think she's kinda afraid of me or something.
The point is, with a little (REAL) planning, the moving wouldn't have been needed, and we wouldn't have lost out on around RM160k of business in the blink of an eye. At this point, I am gonna ignore the fact that we never had a chance for that business deal from the start, due to certain insider news that I happen to know but my manager was to ignorant to listen to.
How can someone be the head (well, almost) of a company (branch, really), and not assert authority anyway? I mean, yes, it's right to maintain a good relationship with your staff and colleagues and clients blah~, but there should be a line drawn clearly. When a manager has his/her staff making inapproriate demands, stepping way over his/her head, and nothing is done to discipline/reprimand the staff, then it's really sad to have this person managing the company.
While I'm at this, how many company/managers will ask their staff to raise a purchase requisition for something with a price tag to RM30-50?! What the fuck happened to the petty cash anyway?

Come to think of it, half of the blame that we're doing bad should go to the sales manager. Another bitch who doesn't even know what management is, and only got to her position because of her MBA.
Ironic, that. An MBA that doesn't know management. I'm not the first one to question her knowledge and ability in management though, the first was the sales director from the corporate office. He did that right in front of everyone, and I can't help but see quite a few of those present hiding smiles unsuccessfully.
Besides treating your sales staff right so that they'll stay and work, I think a sales manager should also set down rules on sales ethics and do sufficient market research to see how trends and prices are going. Rules she set, but poorly enforced, as almost all the sales staff only cares for their own commission, selling products without thinking whether it can be delivered as promised.
As for market research, zilch. Prices are set so much higher than what other people are offering (and delivering more too), that it's a joke to even try to compare our products with those in the market. I once heard a staff, who knows well about current market prices, asking the sales manager whether she knew about the ultra-low price some other company was offering, and her response was "Ya meh?!", et verbatim.

*phew* If I could bitch about my company and submit that as my 5000 word politics essay, I'll already be done with it. There are so much more to bitch about, but I'm seriously out of breath.

I just hope that I'll be done with my degree this sem, and move somewhere else.

No comments: