Wednesday, March 28, 2007

what happened in these few months, part 2

i was in this temporary room with 2 beds. it's where they put people after an operation, before the actual room the patient wants is sorted out.

my mom and bro were there first thing in the morning. mom worried the whole night even though i already called and told her that i only broke a leg, everywhere else was ok except for minor scratches, the ct-scan was all clear too. after seeing the truth of it, she was in a better shape. :) anyway, the worse part at the time, besides my leg, was my lower lip. it was all swollen and raw.

james and a few other were there a bit later. then a few of my superiors. the doctor came by, told me the surgery went well, that i'll be in pain for some time (as if i can't feel that), that i'll be able to start learning to walk with crutches in 3 days, then discharged within the week.
with the pain that i was in, i was really skeptical of that.

towards noon, one of the staff nurses came by to move me to a room that i was entitled to according to my company's insurance. i was all too happy to move because the old man on the bed next to me turns on the tv too loud.

the nurse told me that it'll be on the 3rd floor. imagine my surprise when i was pushed out of the elevator and was pushed towards the direction pointed to by a sign that says "executive suite" (or something like that). the room was huge, nice bed, sofas, fridge, tv, and a big closet for clothes. my mom was wondering whether they had me in the wrong place, which i totally agreed. my brother was going on about how the room is more like made for visitors than me, cos i couldn't move anyway, which i totally agreed with too.
after much checking, the nurse told me that they actually did make a mistake. i'm entitled to the twin sharing rooms downstairs. i was too tired by then, so i just told her that i'd pay whatever extra that the insurance won't cover. she was all too happy about that. :)
(later, i found out that they're still gonna cover everything for me. i haven't been back yet to confirm everything, hopefully they won't let me down on this.)

so, i ended up in a nice room with a nice view for the next 2 weeks. i over-stayed cos i had to arrange for the rest of my stuff to be moved to the new place, and also wait for my bro to be free to come drive me back to ipoh for my recovery.

i also had to make a police report so that i can claim from squall's insurance. the bastard didn't want to take any responsibility and just said that his insurance will take care of everything when i ask him. after that, he just stopped calling or answering calls. til now, i still feel that there should be something in the law to make people like these bear responsibility, even though they have insurance.
the police report was a hassle. i had to travel all the way to the hq in georgetown to make the report. they wouldn't send anyone over to the hospital to take the statement. another fine example of how malaysian public service is in total contradiction to it's supposed goal - provide convenience and simplicity to life.

the nurses are great. very friendly, except for one. i have no idea what's wrong with her. anyway, i made a couple of pretty promising acquaintances with a couple of them. i'm not sure if anything will come out of those, but we're still in contact now. :)

learning to walk on crutches was easier than i thought. i was all over the room after a couple of lessons despite the pain. it was a really healthy change from being confined to the bed. i was really glad it wasn't too hard, cos they'll be my best friend for at least a few months.

the 2 weeks in the hospital more or less let me know who are the best friends i had in penang at the time. i didn't really let too many people know about the whole thing, didn't want to make a big fuss out of it, but news traveled efficiently, especially in the office (thanks to james for scaring some people by sending them email about my accident, haha). quite a lot of people came, some came everyday. +2 even left me her ipod speakers/charger so that i wouldn't be too bored, which (somehow, unknown to me) i broke. the thing still charges, but the speakers died. i still have yet to pay her back for that.

No comments: