Wednesday, March 28, 2007

updates updates updates (or what happened in these few months, part 1)

i took the phone that was on the previous post for repairs under warranty, and got a phone call that it was fixed later in the afternoon. pretty good service from samsung in ipoh. :)

now, the story is not really about the phone, but the phone's malfunctioning is probably part of the aftermath of the story. after all, besides the (probably) huge shock that the phone has from my fall during the accident, i also kept dropping it while i was in the hospital. being pretty much immobile as i was during the first week, reaching over to the night stand for the phone was an ordeal. so, to cut the bullshit short, the story is about my accident.

the when:
november 28, 2006. after work, on the way home. this is in the middle of my bad luck streak, which started roughly 2 months earlier when the landlord suddenly said the apartment is sold, and that we all had to move, then after i found and confirmed another place, the apartment buyer didn't wanna buy the place anymore. oh, and i was supposed to move into the new place on nov 30th. fuck.

the where:
which is a very embarrassing topic as i've been using the same road almost everyday for 2 years, even had an accident on it now, and i still can't remember the name of the road. it's just this big main road in front of PISA, right at the junction where traffic can cross from the other side of the road to turn into Relau.

the rest of it:
i was on my way home after work, slowing down when nearing the above mentioned junction as usual. some bikes were waiting to cross, but waiting by the side as usual since i'm coming on the main road. a car just swerved out from behind the bikes suddenly, crossing the road right in front of me. i couldn't stop or avoid him at all as it happened too suddenly. bang!
the next thing i knew, i was on my back on the road. no pain then, i was totally conscious. my first response was to put my feet under me and get up, and that's when i felt my right leg just wiggled a bit when i tried to move it. so i looked at it and found my right thigh in an S-shape. my first thought at that was actually "this is gonna be fucking inconvenient".

thinking back on it all, i'm still amazed by what i did next.

so, the fella who hit me (which i later found out, calls himself squall. *gah*) got out of the car and wanted to help me up, so i just shaked him off and told him to leave me alone and call an ambulance. i just got my phone out and started calling friends and colleagues to arrange for my company's insurance coverage, someone to come get my stuff etc.

anyway, the ambulance got there in less than 15 minutes. by that time, the pain already sunk in and i was sweating and gritting my teeth when talking because of it. well, the paramedic was surprised that i was still conscious enough to make decisions. i had him pass me my ipod and wallet, which were both in the pockets on the right side of my cargo pants before cutting my pants open to check the damage. i asked them to take me to pantai mutiara, which was the closest private hospital, instead of the general hospital coz that'll probably take another hour due to the heavy traffic after work.

the worse part was being lifted into the ambulance, bumped inside it all the way to the hospital, then being lifted onto the hospital bed. the whole thing happened before any painkillers. the painkillers came after the doctor had a look at me. after that, being lifted onto the x-ray table and the ct-scan machine wasn't that bad.

the exact term the doctor (which, later i found to be not that good) used to describe my leg injury is "a fracture in the femur". that doesn't sound very serious, does it? i mean, people get fractured bones when they fall down in a basketball court. that's exactly how misleading some medical terms sound. the real description in this case is probably something like "thigh bone broken in two, with a chip on the side, muscles torn but luckily no open wound on the outside".

james and lai, two of my colleagues were there trying to help. great guys, both of them. :)

the surgery was 3 hours later. before which, i told the doctor i don't even want a single finger to be conscious of what's happening during the surgery. basically, they cut open my thigh on the side, and also a smaller cut on my ass, rearrange the bones, then sew it back up. this procedure, as i found out much later after getting back to ipoh, if fucking out-dated.

i woke up the next morning in pain even with pain killers. just bandages, no cast.

No comments: